Various Malaysian organisations, including governments, businesses, and educational institutions sometimes ask for documents issued by a foreign authority to be authenticated before they are accepted.
Authentication services (notary services or legalisation of documents) involve the placing of the High Commission’s seal or issuing a letter certifying that a document is authentic. We only authenticate documents that are issued by government agencies in the Maldives. Generally, we provide the following services:
- Placing the consular seal on a copy of a document, attesting that it is a true copy of the original.
- Issuing an authentication letter verifying the details of a document which is in Dhivehi.
- Attest the signing of a legal document to be used for legal matters in the Maldives. For example, the power of attorney or agreement to be used in a Maldivian court.
- Issuing verification letters stating the bona fide status such as verifying your relationship to a family member.
Note: The High Commission does not attest to the authenticity of the contents of the document. For example, we verify that a power of attorney is signed by the person, but we do not attest the contents of the statement which provides the legal rights to a specific person. We also do not make statements as to the character of a person beyond acknowledging facts stated in source documents.
1. Click here for list of FAQs.